EGEC, the voice of the European geothermal industry, calls on the European Commission President Ursula Von der Leyen to create a European internal market for heat in an open letter published today on EGEC’s website.
We also propose the following measures to implement in 2020:
- Increasing the 2030 renewable heat target to 50% of consumption by 2030
- Removing harmful direct and indirect subsidies as well as institutional barriers by 2025 which lock in incumbent fossil fuels consuming applications
- Applying an upstream carbon price to fossil heat
- Institutionalising a European Network Transmission System Operators for Heat
- Establishing an EU Renewable Heating and Cooling Forum
Download the letter to Commission President von der Leyen