The publication of the EGEC Market Report provides an in-depth assessment of the geothermal industry’s evolution during the year 2021.
The European geothermal sector made a strong recovery from the COVID slowdown in 2021. The headline developments were:
- The heating and cooling sector accounted for more than half of the new projects commissioned.
- Geothermal Heat Pump sales reached record growth levels – 73% in France, 59% in Austria 59%, 35% in Belgium and 10% in Germany.
- In terms of overall capacity installed of geothermal heat pumps, the market was still dominated by Germany and Sweden which represent half the installed geothermal heat pumps in Europe, and nearly half the annual sales.
- 14 new geothermal district heating and cooling systems were commissioned. France and the Netherlands commissioned 3 each. The remaining new capacity was in Germany, Finland, Poland, and Switzerland. Notably, the first geothermal district cooling project was commissioned in Finland.
- Exploration began for high-temperature resources to supply a paper manufacturing facility in the Netherlands. This is the first instance of industrial manufacturing turning to geothermal to meet its process heat needs.
- 6 new geothermal electricity plants were installed to bring the total of 3.4 GWe capacity installed and 19 TWh produced.
The full Market Report and the Annexes are FOR MEMBERS ONLY. (More information about how to become a member)
The Key Findings are available for everyone
Read the press release on the EGEC Geothermal Market Report 2021
BE SOCIAL & SHARE